Monday, November 2, 2009

Aladin

I have many cherished memories of Disney's Aladin, which was one of my most favorite cartoons from the legendary Disney hour. So when someone from Bollywood decided to make a movie about Aladin, I took notice. The promos had thrilled me with their fundoo special effects. So it was with great expectations that I entered E-square yesterday.

Good things first, the special effects are the best Bollywood has yet seen, and can rival what Hollywood has to offer. I am only too glad to see this level of technical mastery in our own movies. Sadly, immediately, we come to the not-so-good part, the most important of which is a lack of focus. The movie tries to be a children's movie with a lot of colors, jokes and so on; and it tries to be a non-children movie devoting a disproportionate amount of time to the love angle. The result entirely pleases neither. Too many unrelated (and inaccurate, as I pointed out to a friend) songs do not help. More action sequences, and cutting out the love angle (or at least keeping it to a minimal, or at least handling it reasonably) would have made the movie much better. I don't know if you'll like it, but I love Aladin's story so much that I just can not not like it. Maybe I should point out that it's impossible for me to write an unbiased review on a topic so close to my heart.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment