Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Donnie Darko

No, I'd never heard that name before...and neither does it ring any bells. Heard of the movie from Hemant and since his previous movie choices were outstanding I gave this one too a try.
This movie is nice. Its different and there are a variety of ways the watcher can interpret the concept.
Basic theme is time travel. But its done so well, without ridiculing any beliefs/concepts and so clean is the direction that its definitely worth much more accolades. Now I don't know if anyone else had heard about the movie before. Has anyone?
As for the actors, they are good. The lead protagonist Jake Gyllenhaal, we'll call him Donnie has performed very well. At first I found his acting too sleepy, but then as the movie proceeds you realise that his performance befits his character in the movie. He has done very well in showing a slow paced progression in emotions of a troubled teenager.
The movie starts slow, but it picks up speed speedily and then keeps you guessing till then end. And when the end comes, you are left clueless as to what it meant, what was it! And that's when you make your own interpretation of the movie. So I suggest a must watch!
My interpretation follows from here. I suggest you don't read it until when you have seen the movie and formed your own.
What I made of the movie is that, the whole movie was Donnie's dream. He knew he is afraid of being alone. And hence he made his own fictional character called Charlie Frank. Or even better the whole movie was like a glimpse he saw of his life as he wanted it to be, just before he died. If anyone thinks differently please feel free to write :)
After you are done with your reasonings, you have to read this. There's a bit too much explanation and I found it confusing too. But, the article tells me that the concept of the movie is not as simple as I thought it is but rather a complicated one with time loops and stuff. Do read.

2 comments:

  1. one of my old roomies was a big fan of this movie..
    I remember adding it to my list, but then forgot as usual..
    Thanks for the reminder..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhk...so someone has heard abt it..nice..:)
    n reminder...im a chalta firta reminder service...:P

    ReplyDelete